I have wanted to make my own basil pesto for some time now and finally the time has come! If you’re a pesto fan you’ve got to try this, and if not, this may just be the recipe to change your mind. This is definitely going to be a staple in my fridge/freezer going forward (I haven’t tried freezing it yet but I will try it out and update you).
Baked Pesto Chicken – a new favourite!
Serves 1 & leftovers for lunch the next day
- 2 Chicken Breasts (use more if needed)
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese – about a cup
- 1 Roma tomato sliced (add more if desired)
- Green beans (for your side)
For the pesto: this recipe will make a batch to keep in the fridge or freeze
- 60g Fresh Basil Leaves – I used 2 x 30g packs from woolworths
- 100g Raw Walnuts
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ Cup of grated Reggiano Parmigiana
- 2 Garlic Cloves – minced
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 tsp Water
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Now, on to the pesto!
- Rinse and dry the basil leaves (I use a salad spinner).
- Add the basil and walnuts to a food processor. Process until the walnuts are finely chopped and combined with the basil. You may need to scrape down the sides and buzz again in the processor.
- Then add the lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper, minced garlic and grated Reggiano Parmigiana. Once well combined, add the 2 tsp of water whilst the food processor is running.
- Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish. Then top with the pesto, sliced tomato, salt & pepper, and sprinkle with the mozzarella. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Top and tail your green beans, place into a microwavable dish and cover with water, cook for 4 minutes. Serve on the side with a bit of butter. If you’e feeling hungrier and want to add to the sides, a baked sweet potato would go well!
This is such a simple meal to make and it’s super tasty! Definitely give it a try and let me know how you find it.