When I first looked at recipes for green smoothies I thought there was no way I’d be able to drink it but I have been pleasantly surprised! This is a great way to your greens and start the day feeling refreshed.
Start your day with a Green Goodness smoothie
Spinach is a good source of fibre, vitamin A and K, and iron. Celery adds flavour and is also a source of Vitamin K. Ginger also adds to the flavour, it settles any nerves I feel in my tummy and has anti-inflammatory benefits. Gingerol, the bioactive substance in fresh ginger, can help lower the risk of infections. Lemon Juice balances out the taste by providing the acidity. Lemon juice is high in vitamin C, aids in digestion and can help balance you body’s pH.
- 1 cup water
- A handful of washed Baby Spinach
- 3 Celery Fingers
- 1 tsp Fresh minced ginger
- 1 slice of Lemon, skin & seeds removed (or lemon juice from the bottle but fresh is best)
- 1/2 green apple with skin (optional – I’ve started leaving out the apple to remove the fructose element)
Sometimes I soak a tsp of chia seeds overnight in the cup of water – this does alter the taste but it’s good for you!
- In a blender, add the water, then spinach, celery, apple and ginger.
- Blend until smooth.
I have my green smoothie first thing on a morning (even before a cup of tea) and then when I get to work I have some oats, yogurt or an oat smoothie.
What I love most about the Green Goodness smoothie is that it starts my day out on a healthy note. The heat from the ginger soothes any pre-work day anxiety/nerves and I just feel light and refreshed!
Definitely give it a try and let me know how you find it.