Super quick to make! Add 1/3 cup rolled oats and 3/4 cups water to a pot & bring to the boil – cooks in about 4 minutes. Pour out into a bowl & mix in 1 tsp sugar & salt free peanut butter and 2 drops stevia. Top off with a little milk!
In winter months I want something warm to kick-start my day – bring on the oats! What I love about oats is that I can make them ahead and just reheat in the microwave when I get to work. Convenience is often what gets in the way of making healthy choices so the easier the better!
Make-ahead, creamy macadamia butter & cinnamon oats
Oats are a breakfast staple! They’re rich in a specific type of fibre called beta-glucan which is known to help lower levels of bad cholesterol. They’re also a source of protein.
- ½ cup oats
- 1 cup water
- Cinnamon to sprinkle
- 1 heaped tsp. Macadamia butter (or almond butter)
- Stevia to sweeten (optional)
- Rice & Coconut milk or normal milk
- Add the oats and water to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour the cooked oats into a jar. Get a heaped tsp. of macadamia butter and dunk into the middle of the hot oats. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of the oats (as much as you’d like). Add 4 drops stevia. Mix, mix, MIX!
When I get to work I pop the jar in the microwave for about 30 seconds to a minute, then add the milk, stir and enjoy. I hope this gives you another option to make healthier breakfast choices!
Banana Oat Muffins are a great ‘make-ahead’ treat to pack in with your lunch; enjoy as a quick breakfast snack or have with a cuppa tea.
Banana Oat Muffins
Makes about 24 cupcake size or 12 muffin size
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats (Used certified gluten free oats if Gluten Intolerant – they’re available from Dischem)
- 1/4 Cup Oat Bran
- 1 1/2 Cup Oat Flour (To make Oat Flour: Place oats into a food processor & blitz until it becomes a powder)
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Xylitol (Optional – I used 1/2 Cup but next time I’m only using 1/4 Cup if any because it was too sweet)
- 1/2 Cup Plain Full Cream Yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
- 2 Large Bananas
- 1 Large Egg
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup rolled oats and 1/4 cup oat bran with the 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup yogurt. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Line muffin tray with paper cups or grease with coconut oil/butter/spray&cook.
- To make Oat Flour: Place 1 1/2 cup oats into a food processor & blitz until it becomes a powder. Transfer flour to another bowl and add the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, xylitol, baking powder and baking soda.
- Chop up the bananas into smaller chunks and add to the food processor along with the egg and blitz until a smooth consistency.
- Add the milk & yogurt soaked oats, banana & egg mixture and coconut oil to the oat flour bowl and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups about 2/3 full (they rise a little).
- Bake at 180C for 30-35 minutes but check from 20 minutes by stabbing them with a cake tester.
They freeze really well and still taste great once defrosted so they’re the perfect meal prep treat.