- 1kg Gluten Free Flour (Nature’s Choice Cake Flour Gluten Free @ R41.95 from Dischem – http://dischem.co.za/product-view/3710/natures-choice-cake-flour-gluten-free-950g)
- 5 tsp Xylitol
- 2 tsp Raw Honey
- 250g Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 333ml Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
- In a Kenwood Mixer (Or other mixer) soften the butter and add the Xylitol.
- Add the Flour to the mixer in 3 stages until all combined. Then stop the mixer and use your hands to rub the butter into the flour.
- Change to the dough hook attachment on your mixer. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the eggs, buttermilk and honey.
- Mix until the a dough has formed and all ingredients are fully combined.
- If you want sliced rusks: use spray & cook (or butter) to grease a shallow baking tray (about 3-5 centimeters deep); press dough into the tray.
- If you want chunky rusks: roll the dough into balls or rolls and place in a baking dish with edges.
- Bake in the oven at 150 degrees Celsius for 30-40 minutes until golden and the cake poker comes out clean.
- Remover from the oven. If you are making sliced rusks, cut the rusks into the desired size and remove from the baking tray and place on a wire cooling rack. If you are making chunky rusks remove from the baking tray and place on a wire cooling rack.
- Turn your oven down to 70 degrees Celsius and place the wire rack onto a baking tray and put into the oven. Leave the oven door open slightly to allow for air flow and bake (to dry out) for 3 hours until the rusks are dry and crispy (like a rusk).
Recipe adapted from: There can be only Juan